Business Names & Registration
Registering a Business Name
- To Register and use Business Name: Registering and using your business name.
- To Register National Business Name: National Business Name.
- From July 2011 the ASIC will take over responsibility for the registration of business names and introduce a national registration service. Existing registered business names will automatically be transferred to the national system.
- New businesses will need to obtain an ABN before they can register a national business name. Businesses will be able to use an online service to register national business names. The online application service will include a link to a trademarks search.
NSW Fair Trading will continue to regulate business names until 30 June 2011.
Registering an Internet domain name.
- Your domain name is your address on the Internet and gives you an online identity or brand. It's a valuable part of your business identity and an important marketing tool. If you wish to buy a .com.au or .net.au domain name, you must be a commercial entity and possess either an ACN or ABN. For more information go to the .au Domain Administration Ltd (.auDA) website.
- Intellectual Property and Trade Marks, IP Site Search, business names, company names and domain names and a clarification of different registration entitlements.